Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Catching Up

Thankfully, there have been no more surprises or crisis to deal with since my lung. I like to joke that quitting smoking ruined my life - that my lungs were protected by all the tar and chemicals but I know better.

In the weeks between the lung revelation and now, I got a new primary physician and paid almost $56 for all of my medical records from the old doctor. I had been with him since 1994 and I wanted everything - I didn't just want it transferred, I wanted it in my hand for my own records. I met with my new doctor and I really liked her. I really felt that she was there in that room for me for the time we were together. And I don't want to be sexist, but I've had such good experiences with women starting with Dr. Howard that I think I'll stick with women from now on.

I also switched the girls to a different doctor so that I could get us completely out of the healthcare system we were in.

I had another Pulmonary Function Test to make sure the chemo wasn't affecting my lungs. The results were the same as the one before my chemo - which is actually better since I'm no longer on asthma meds.

Mother's Day came and went and I actually stayed awake for all of it.

I learned that I've gained 8lbs since starting chemo which was quite a blow. I know there are steroids in the chemo and I know that I'm not able to be as active but it still hit me pretty hard. I plan on joining a gym once this is over to get myself back into shape...pre-twin shape even.

My short-term disability ran out and I don't qualify for long term disability.

Some friends of mine at work organized a bake sale for me and so many people in my unit participated. They raised over $1400 for me and my family. They also took up a collection of clothes and stuff for my girls and are trying to get me approved for PTO donation which many people have already offered to do for me. I truly work with angels.

I chaperoned a field trip. I volunteered thinking I would be done with chemo and I was very worried about going because I get car sick after about 20 minutes in a car. I bought some Sea Bands from Walgreens and took my nausea meds and it worked out great!

We've applied with our mortgage company for their modification/assistance program. All I wanted to do was inquire to see if we could pay interest only or if we had any options until I went back to work and I had to go thru this huge application process which I still haven't heard back about. Apparently the bank created a new department dedicated to this and no one knows their ass from a hole in the ground so we've continued to pay our mortgage in full.

I applied for a co-pay assistance program. I should've done it a long time ago, but I wasn't aware of any such thing until recently. I do qualify and I sent the application package back a little over a week ago.

Yesterday I had a PET scan to check the progress. I was supposed to have it Saturday morning, but started puking - which is really strange for me. The last time I threw up was about 4 1/2 years ago when I had a kidney stone. I rescheduled it for yesterday (June 16). Dr. Howard thinks the cancer should be all gone, but I will still have to go thru four more chemo sessions before I'm done. I will get the results on Friday.

One huge help to us has been a Meals On Wheels that my aunt organized. She asked my family and friends to make us dinners and bring them to us the day of chemo and the three days after. Everyone had made great dishes and all the food ends up lasting us the whole week so this saves us money on groceries.

I am very thankful to all of my family and friends who have helped us out or just called or emailed to check on me. The one good thing that came out of this experience has been all of the love I have received.

This brings my story current. I will continue to blog as my story continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment