Thursday, August 29, 2013

Happy CancerversaWHAT?!

August 18th marked the 4 year anniversary of my last chemo treatment, but I was saving my happy dance for August 19th when I met with my oncologist for the "All Clear".  Unfortunately, instead of the All Clear, I had some crazy lab results so she wanted to recheck my labs as well do a neck scan because of some neck pain I had been having.

And so I had to postpone my Happy 4 Year Cancerversary announcements until after my labs and CT came back normal.  The labs came in the next day - back to normal.  After a week and a half of waiting for authorization and scheduling, I finally had the CT yesterday.  Two pokes in the left arm to no avail.  They finally got a small vein on the right side - neck CTs require two injections of dye - one for each angle they scan.  Fun times.  More poison and radiation.  How long before the nurse calls with that All Clear???

Finally!  I see Aurora on my caller id today and anxiously answer, only it's not a nurse.  It's my oncologist.  The numbness sets in.  Doctors don't give All Clears on the phone.  Ever.

My lymph nodes are enlarged.  Not enough to say tumor for sure, but large enough to be noticeable.  After going back and forth on how I've been feeling (absolutely fine other than more tired than normal), it came down to either just keeping an eye on it or getting a PET scan.  Ultimately, she opted to order the PET scan.

So now again I wait.  Wait for the insurance.  Wait for scheduling.  Wait for an answer.  Wait for my all clear.

An All Clear that may not come, forcing me to remember everything I went through and imagine if I would do it, could do it again.  I don't think that I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment