Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Kindness of Strangers




January 30, 2009 my beautiful twin daughters River and Raine turned 4. I had the weight of the world on me that day but was determined to get thru it all without them even sensing that something was wrong.

We got up, got dressed and the five of us headed out to IHOP for breakfast - twin's choice. We ordered and after a very chaotic breakfast the waiter brought out ice cream and the waitstaff sang Happy Birthday to the twins. Bryan was being particularly quiet. He wasn't even irritated at all the chaos that is eating out with our girls. When the twins were finished with their ice cream, the waiter told us that a couple wanted to pay for our breakfast but wanted to remain anonymous. We couldn't argue, it was already said and done. Tears filled both Bryan's and my own eyes. At the time I was just overwhelmed with their kindness, but looking back I think it was God's way of telling us that he was going to take care of us.

When we returned home, there were messages from my Aunt Nancy and from our Pastor. I swallowed my tears and refocused my energy.

The random act of kindness at IHOP gave me the strength to get thru the rest of the day, back in party-mode. I cleaned, I decorated, I made food, I did it all and enjoyed all of the work I had ahead of me. We made some phone calls to people that would be coming over and asked them not to mention anything for the kid's sake. I held it together and even let myself hope that the biopsy would be negative.

The twins had a great party. I drank a lot of wine. I knew that after this day, I wouldn't have a party to focus on and my mind would go right back to that dark place it had been. But for tonight, I was going to enjoy myself. I didn't know how much more enjoyment my life would hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment