Thursday, June 25, 2009

Hair and Things

Having my head shaved has been a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because I don't have to spend any time on it, it keeps me cooler during hot days, and I don't find hair all over my bathroom from the constant fallout I've been experiencing. It's been a curse because everybody stares at me, and because it's not very feminine. I'm not really a girly girl - never really have been, but I like to look like a girl. I've managed to find that the quickest way for me to soften up my look is some foundation, mascara, and dangly earrings.

Before Smackdown the other night I was performing the above girly ritual and noticed how light my eyebrows were...not light, thin. Anyone who knows me knows that one of the things I dislike most about myself is my eyebrows. They are dark and thick and bushy. One of the worst things about being on blood thinners is not being able to get the ol' brows waxed or plucked or anything.

Luckily, my eyebrows thinned out a little initially and they didn't look all that bad I guess. But now, they are super thin and almost look fake.

My hair loss has been a strange thing. The hair on my head is constantly falling out, but has never completely fallen out. My eyebrows are super thin. My armpits are bare. My leg hair grows faster than ever. And then, well, lets just say I haven't had to perform any maintenance anywhere else.

Smackdown was great. I did pretty well thru most of it, but started getting very uncomfortable toward the end of it. The seats weren't comfortable to begin with and add shooting pains and the heat. But I stuck it out - that's how much I love Jeff Hardy. I swear he waved back at me and at one point it looked like he said my name and even though I know better, I still like to think that he did.

My nails are becoming quite the problem. They are so thin that they just rip when I bump them on something. I can barely button my kids clothes and my thumbs and big toes hurt all the time. Opening a can of soda is a project and I find myself relying on the kindness of others to do more and more things for me. You never appreciate these things until they're gone.

I stopped by work today and they had gift bags for the girls. Each girl got 5 dresses and some pj's and then there was another bag with summer toys (chalk, bubbles, a ball, frisbee, etc) and art supplies. My unit has been so kind to me and my family over the last months - they are a unit of angels. There was also a check for $200 from the unit's old Social Worker Mary. She was always a quirky spirit and I thought she was fantastic. I am still in disbelief that she gave us so much - it speaks volumes. After everything they have all done for me, I am so touched that so many good people can be found in one place, and I am lucky enough to have them in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment