Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Next Few Days

The next day Bryan was throwing up. I get chemo, and he throws up. It was Saturday February 28th and I actually felt pretty good. I was afraid to go anywhere because I didn't know how or when the chemo would hit me.

Sunday I was queasy and tired - so very tired. I slept a lot and took a lot of my anti-nausea meds. Monday was more of the same, only now I was getting pains in my bones. They were sharp pains which I can only compare to being a voo doo doll - like someone was sticking needles into me all over. Because of the blood thinners, I couldn't take much for pain so I called the clinic to see if I could take my leftover percocets and they said yes.

Tuesday the queasiness subsided, but the pains were worse. My mom had taken off of work to help me out with the kiddos so I was thankful for that. I didn't get tired until around 3:00 in the afternoon.

By Wednesday I was feeling better - not back to my old self, but better. I went in for another ultrasound and the tech told me that a clot would take a few weeks to dissolve and sure enough he found it right away. I went to the clinic to see Dr. Howard and got a prescription for more Arixtra shots. I ended up being on these shots for a total of 20 days.

Friday March 6th I woke up with the idea (and a bug up my ass) to get me and the girls picture taken together before my hair would fall out. I called up JC Penney and set an appointment for the next day. I took the girls to Target and we bought similar t-shirts, different colors. I decided we would wear jeans and t-shirts and was very excited about doing this.

Saturday came and my mom, sister, and I had plans to go to the Grand Avenue mall to look at a wig. I took a shower and noticed a clump of hair in my pj shirt when I pulled it off. I had already noticed a texture change when I washed it - like it had been bleached out - it felt like straw and I had to over-condition and leave in the conditioner for quite some time. I also noticed hair falling out whenever I touched it - not in big clumps but more than normal. I know it's silly, but I was worried it would all fall out before we could get our picture taken later that day.

It was pouring out and my mom, sister and I went to Tess's Beauty Supply store in the Grand Avenue Mall. They had some wigs there for decent prices. I really didn't want a wig and the thought of having to wear one depressed me. I found one that was similar to my hair and then I found a long one that I could wear for fun. My mom bought one for me and my sister bought the other. I don't know if it was the experience or that they were offering to pay for them that made me cry, but I got really emotional. Then we went shopping around the mall and had lunch. It ended up being a really nice time.

After I got home, I put on some make-up and got myself and the girls dressed in our jeans and t-shirts. We all drove out to JC Penney and I gave my husband one last chance to be in our picture, which he declined. The photo session went by really quickly and the girls were complete angels. Raine cried when it was over because she wanted to take more pictures. The pictures turned out beautiful but I swore I wouldn't buy more than I needed so I went with a one-pose package for $7.99. It was the happiest I felt in weeks.


This is the pose I went with

This shows our jeans (Skye won't wear jeans so she comprised by wearing a jean skirt)

No comments:

Post a Comment