Thursday, July 23, 2009

Me & My Pump (and other news)

Tomorrow I will be disconnected from my pump and I cannot wait! This thing is such a pain in the ass. It's too heavy to wear around my waist, and when I wear it as a purse it keeps sliding off of my shoulder. I can't shower with it because the tubing isn't long enough to put the sack on the floor and maneuver around so I've been cleaning myself with baby wipes. I smell young and fresh, but feel gross.

My sleep is also deprived as I'm stuck on my back or only slightly to my left side. I'm a stomach sleeper and sometimes will settle for my right side. I'm hoping once the insertion site of the line heals and isn't as sore that sleeping will no longer be a problem, but again the tubing isn't very long and I have to be completely conscious of the sack I carry with me. Nevertheless, I only have to do this two more times.

In other news, because of the line Dr. Howard wants me to start back up on the blood thinners - just to be on the safe side. She wanted me to go back on the Coumadin (pills) and also take a few days of the Arixtra shots. I had two shots left over and took one Tuesday. When I called yesterday to clarify just how many days she wanted me to take the shots, they told me five days and that they would write me a prescription for three more. I asked if they had any samples, explaining that those three shots would cost me a $75 co-pay and so the nurse arranged for me to come into the office yesterday, today, and tomorrow and they'll give me the shots and then I can use my last one Saturday. This way the insurance will cover the full amount of the shots and save me $75. I am thrilled about that!

I also finally got approved for FoodShare. I was very leery about applying. I didn't want to be on "welfare" or be categorized as such. But then I thought about all the people on it that are perfectly capable of working and how we can never seem to get any help because we always fall into that middle-class working man's world of making too much, even tho it's never enough category. And so I applied in May but never got the letter from them requesting more information. When I called last week, she told me what she needed and I had Bryan fax her everything Friday. I got our card today and we've been approved for $223/month. Now I'm just waiting for my booklet so I know what is and isn't "approved". I actually felt a little wave of relief when I found out we were approved because every little bit helps.

As for how I'm feeling, I should be feeling worse for it being two days after chemo, but I am having waves of feeling really bad and then pretty good. I'm wondering how the chemo will hit me now with my new regimen. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment