Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Last Chemo

Today, August 18, 2009 was my last chemo. It went very smoothly with my arriving at 8:30. My counts were great and my PT/INR was great. My meds came in a very timely fashion and the VNA arrived just as my last bag of meds was done. She hooked me up and we discussed the possibility of her removing my PICC line Friday when she disconnects the portable IV. I was out of there by 11:45 - a huge difference from my first chemo when I was there from 9:00am to 5:00pm.

As I left, I wondered if I should say good-bye to everyone and I got a little teary-eyed - not that I'm going to miss chemo, but I do love the staff there. I decided I wouldn't say good-bye just yet. I have an appointment with Dr. Howard next week Friday and that will probably be my last appointment for awhile. I thought I would bring them muffins when I came or send them a popcorn sampler tin or something nice to thank them for all of their love and support.

My mom was very giddy the whole day about it being my last one, but I only had waves of giddiness (is that even a word?). For one, I have to have this IV bag on me for the next 3 days. And two, tomorrow is my appointment with the radiation oncologist. Everyone is telling me I should do what needs to be done but in my heart I really don't think that I am capable of having to go thru that.

I have decided to go camping this weekend with my family. It is our annual trip and because I haven't done anything, I am going no matter what.

I have also decided to go back to work September 2nd. I'm pretty excited about it and we really need the money. It has raised problems with child care the 2-days a week I'll be working but I've been praying and am hoping that we'll be able to figure it all out.

I'm sure as my journey with cancer comes to an end, I'll be wrapping up this blog soon. I want to give a big thank-you to all of my family and friends that participated in a "meals on wheels" for me - cooking for us and/or giving us money to order out for the days following my treatments. It was truly touching to see everyone come together for me and my family.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the news I want to hear from the Radiation Oncologist. Whatever the outcome, I'll have to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment